Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chicken and Guacamole Tostadas

Blog, I’m sorry.  I feel horrible for not posting for just over a week, but life’s been busy with work, completing homework that I’ve procrastinated, Marlina home (yay!), spending time with family, ect.  After failed attempts at Easter treats, it left me in a terrible mood. I apologize for not posting anything!  I do hope everyone enjoyed their holiday, and spent lots of time with family and friends.  I hope the next holiday I will be more prepared (I’m sure I will!). 

With the weather cooperating this past week, I couldn’t be more thrilled.  I love sunny days, wearing dresses, going for runs again (I know I mentioned this before but I just can’t say it enough! I LOVE the sun!!).  I love opening my windows in the morning for some fresh air and not freezing to death.  I really don’t think I can say anything negative about spring except for the allergies I’ve developed over the past 3 years, but that’s easily counteracted with some antihistamines.  Anyway, I supposed I can go on and ramble, but I’ll spare youJ

This meal is light, and perfect with a green salad.  I’m a huge guacamole fan, so this meal was a definite hit.  Gavin loved it as well.  He wanted me to make it again the next day, which is something that doesn’t happen very often.  I didn’t make much changes, I thought that it tasted great the way it was.  I would highly suggest you to eat this meal with someone you are close to, as this could get messy!













Chicken and Guacamole Tostadas
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1 ripe, peeled avocado, pitted
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato, divided
3 tablespoons minced fresh onion, divided
3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
½ teaspoon salt, divided
2 large garlic cloves, minced finely
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper, seeded
2 cups shredded boneless chicken breast
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
8 (6 inch) corn tostada shells (I used flour tortilla shells, and toasted them for about  5 minutes at 350 degrees)
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS
 For the chicken
Mix together the chicken, 1 tablespoon lime juice, paprika and toss well to combine. Set aside.

For the guacamole
Mash the avocado with a small fork, stir in 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and onion, 2 tablespoons of the tomato, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1/2 of the garlic. Set aside.

For the salsa
Combine the 1 cup tomato with 2 tablespoons onion, 1 tablespoon lime juice, remaining salt and garlic, cilantro and jalapeno. Toss well. 

Assembly
Spread the guacamole mixture over the tostada. Top with approximately ¼ cup chicken and 2 tablespoons salsa. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and serve.

Source: slightly adapted from Cooking Light

3 comments:

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog and I cannot tell you how great it is! :) Super adorable & welcoming with great recipes! :) These tostadas look amazing. YUM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney-
    You just made my day! I am so thrilled that you like it! I just checked out yours and absolutely love it..thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, I'm glad! :) The minute I clicked onto your page and saw how adorable it was, I immediately started having a better day. Fantastic recipes too!

      Thanks for stopping by my space too :) Thank you for your kind words. *hugs* Looking forward to checking out more posts! Take care and have a fabulous evening.

      Delete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios