Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

A Spring/Summer Potluck

I was so thrilled when Courtney of The Fig Tree Blog asked me to join her and her friends in a virtual potluck. I could hardly contain my excitement; Gavin surely thought I was going nuts. Courtney is my first friend from the ‘blogosphere’ and so I’m very excited to participate (probably more than her!).  I’m not a vegetarian or vegan by any means, but I do appreciate the healthier and more economical lifestyle it brings.  I’m always looking for delicious vegetarian recipes, and I find Courtney a great source of inspiration and knowledge for good recipes-make sure you check out her blog! And everyone else's...they have a lot of amazing vegan/vegetarian recipes and I am still browsing through all of them-everything looks so yummy.  It would be amazing to meet everyone one day, but for now I will settle with a virtual potluck! :) I wish I could eat everyone's food! 
For my contribution, I made a Big Bertha Burger.  I needed something to redeem myself from my Blue Cheese-Stuffed Burgers.  It can easily be made into a vegan burger, however I love cheese and couldn't go without it! :) :) 

My aunt teaches vegan cooking classes in Alberta, so I know that I could always go to her for a good recipe.  She suggested this burger, which I vaguely remember her making when I was younger (at the time I thought the idea of a vegetarian burger absolutely preposterous!)  But after trying this recipe, I fell in love.  It is sooo good.  I know it may seem like I say this a lot, but I am not joking!!  The flavour is definitely not lost with these burgers.  I've never even heard of nutritional yeast flakes but knew I would find them at our local health food store.  In turn, I  learned something new: nutritional yeast in rich in Vitamin B12, Folic Acid, amino acids and many other nutrients. It tastes great sprinkled on top of salads or popcorn, according to my mom!

Big Bertha Burger
Makes approximately 8 large 6-inch burgers

INGREDIENTS
4 cups water
½ cup Bragg’s Amino (alternatively, you could use a low-sodium soy sauce)
¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon sweet basil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 cup chopped pecans (cashews or walnuts work, too)
4 cups rolled oats

DIRECTIONS
In a 3-quart pan, add the first 11 ingredients (except for the rolled oats) over medium heat, and bring the water to a slow boil.

Once a slow boil is reached, quickly stir in the rolled oats and immediately remove from heat. Cover and set aside, allow to cool until most of the moisture is absorbed.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet with canola oil.

To form the patties place in a 6 inch biscuit cutter and press into 1 ½ inch rounds.

Bake for 25 minutes, then flip the burger over and bake for an additional 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool for 4 minutes.

Serve with whole-wheat buns, lettuce, onion slices, tomato and pickles.

Source: Big Bertha Burger from SDA Coronary Health Improvement Project 

So, what did everyone else bring? 
Please click on the picture for the link to their recipes....Everything looks sooooo delicious ladies!

Elaina @ Flavour Food + Wine made this Broccoflower Guacamole...I must say I am impressed, I've never considered using broccoli with guacamole and am intrigued about how it tastes...I must make soon to try out!

Caitlin @ The Vegan Chickpea made a Super Green Salad with Strawberries. I just LOVE avocados, and I've never seen anything like this before.  I think the combination of the fruits and salads make this salad unique, I can't wait to try it!  I've been looking for new salads to try! Thank you Caitlin-I'm really excited to eat this! 


Courtney @ The Fig Tree  made this delicious Mango Avocado Salad with Pineapple Mint Dressing.  One salad with avocado would have been fine, but TWO-I'm just so excited to everything I can't wait!!

Genevieve @ Vanilla + Spice made some Avocado Potato Salad...ANOTHER AVOCADO RECIPE!  You ladies rock!! I'm also, very very excited to make this...it's going on the menu for the week!!


Destini @ The Healthy Wife made a Lime Cilantro Black Bean Quinoa Salad. I love quinoa, and always looking for new ways to use it. This recipe looks so simple yet delicious-can't wait to eat it! *yum!*

Cara @ Fork & Beans brought these yummy looking stuffed bell peppers. As I mentioned above, I am always looking for ways to use quinoa.  Thanks Cara-it was well worth the wait, I'm hungry already! :)
Richa @ Hobby & More brought us these Chard Cauliflower Carrot Wraps with Mint Thyme and Tomato Chutney. What can I say about these except...WOW! My mind is blown! Thank you Richa for bringing these!

Heather @ Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes made these delightful Strawberry Rhubarb Coconut Crumble Bar....what a great combination. I'm so excited to try these out (you can see everybody brought their 'A' game-I'm so hungry!)

Natasha over @ VIMWAC joined us even though she was travelling. Thanks, Natasha! These Vegan Chocolate and Banana Rolled Out Bites look so tasty...my stomach is starting to growl. Must eat.....

 Willow @ Will Cook for Friends brought these delicious looking Peaches + Cream Parfaits....Seriously Willow, how did you know that I would love these? I guess the blog name does gives it away that I love anything with Peaches & Cream....absolutely delicious. Can't wait to try it!

And that's it! Thank you everyone for attending....I must say I wish we were all together so that we could make all this good food! A big thanks to Courtney for putting this all together. XO!

7 comments:

  1. That looks like a big, hearty veggie burger! I bet all the spices and herbs would make it really flavourful. Great main course idea for a summer potluck event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, it's been a while since I've had a good veggie burger! These sound so hearty, and I was seriously fooled looking at them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it wrong to be in love with a burger? Because I think Big Bertha and I just found chemistry... I LOVE THESE!! Beautiful, Helena!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I've been collecting recipes for veggie burgers as alternatives this bbq season. So glad Courtney brought us together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hehe* Love all of the avocado recipes! Great minds think alike! :)

    These burgers look ah-maz-ing. Looks like the PERFECT veggie burger and I cannot wait to test this recipe out this week. YUM!!!! :) Beautiful photo too! Love how summery your pic is! Perfect for a spring/summer potluck! :)

    Thank you SO much for participating in the potluck! Was so great to have you contribute!!! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies!
    Thanks for all your comments-I appreciate them:D I am just going through everyone's recipes and I'm hungry already...darn it!!! I hope you guys enjoy the burger as much as I do! XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am loving the look of this burger! this is definitely going to be made this summer!:)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios