Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Friday, June 01, 2012

Biscuit Cinnamon Rolls

Holy Crap it's June! We are halfway through the year...Scary!

Here I go again.  Another post about cinnamon + sugar.  How could I resist?  I’m a cinnamon-sugar junkie, and I have yet to post about a real cinnamon bun.  Well guys, I am getting close-trust me!  I will, I promise….hopefully soon.  Be patient!  J  So today I am sharing with you the next best thing: a biscuit cinnamon roll.  This blew my mind when I first saw it.  I mean, who would have thought of this??  Not me for sure!  I am sure glad to have found this recipe, as now I have a quick fix to my cinnamon bun cravings…wait.  On second thought-I am unsure if this is a good thing or not!

The best part about these rolls are that they’re not time consuming.  Whew.  You can have them ready in just under an hour.  I swear I’m not joking.  They don’t require any yeast, so you don’t have to worry about rise time.  Hoorah!  They are perfect for breakfast or brunch…or any other time of day.  They are perfectly flaky with all the ooey-gooey cinnamon flavor. Yum!


Biscuit Cinnamon Rolls
Makes 8-9 rolls

INGREDIENTS
For the Filling:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg (optional)
pinch of salt

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted plus a bit more for topping the biscuits before baking

For the Biscuits:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/4 cup vegetable shortening, cold and cut into cubes (alternatively, you may use unsalted butter if none is available)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk, cold
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.  Grease a 8×8-inch square baking pan with butter and set aside.

In a small bowl, make the filling by mixing together sugars, spices, and salt.  Set aside.  Set melted butter aside as well.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Using your hands, cut in the shortening and butter into the dry mixture until the size of peas.

In a medium sized bowl, beat the egg, milk and vanilla together. Stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and stir enough to make a soft dough.

On a lightly floured surface knead the dough about 15 times.  If the butter has warmed up too much, shape the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap and rest refrigerated for 15 minutes. If the butter is still cool, shape the dough into a disk. On a well floured surface, roll the dough to a little less than ½-inch thickness-approximately 14-inches long and 12-inches tall.

Brush the dough with the melted butter, reserving a small amount for brushing. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture liberally over the dough. Carefully begin to roll one vertical side into a fairly tight roll. Continue rolling until you have a cylinder.

Using a sharp knife, slice the log into 1-1½ inch thick rolls. Place rolls in the prepared pan. Brush the top of the roll with the reserved melted butter.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the rolls are slightly golden brown on top.

Serve immediately-best served warm.

Source: Joy the Baker

1 comment:

  1. Yum!!!!!!! My mommy makes this recipe for me. They are my fav. Jesse and I always have arguments over which cinnamon rolls are better - the yeasted kind or the biscuit kind. I always vote for this biscuit kind :)

    Great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios