Peaches & Cream Ice Cream with Salted Pecans (A Guest Post by Courtney of The Fig Tree Blog)
Good morning everyone! I am super excited for today's post-my friend Courtney from The Fig Tree is featuring on the blog today, and I'm featuring on hers! Courtney is a super talented photographer/baker/cook/writer and she's such a supportive and wonderful friend. I love that we have so much in common and as she mentions bellow, we babble back and forth often-it leads to some great reads! *hehe* Now, let me introduce you to the one, the only, the amazing Courtney!
Hello! My name is Courtney and I'm the writer + photographer behind the blog The Fig Tree. It's a blog that celebrates the best in vegetarian cuisine focusing on whole, natural foods. However, as I also have a terrible sweet tooth, I like to post yummy desserts every so often too! Cookies....cookies are my weakness! Ice cream is a close second. Mmmmm...
I am so thrilled and honoured to be sharing a post on Peaches & Cream today! A few months back, I stumbled upon Helena's fantastic blog and I was immediately smitten. I loved the photos and the selection of recipes. Even though Peaches & Cream is not a vegetarian blog, I find the content and photography incredibly inspiring. Helena is one talented photographer - even if she does not believe me :) I also fell for Helena's writing style - she writes like she is talking to a good friend. I sent her a message on Facebook after I found out she was also a Canadian food blogger. We started emailing one another back and forth and I was thrilled to see we had so much in common. We both love to babble! I have a feeling, if we were to meet, we'd spend hours chatting and coming up with new recipes to try. Helena has been a treat to get to know. A dear friend indeed :) And she has great taste in TV shows ;)
Peaches & Cream Ice Cream with Salted Pecans
Yield: about 1 quart
- 3/4 cup of granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream (35% M.F)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 cup of peeled + coarsely chopped peaches
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
1. Whisk together the first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in the milk and whipping cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk the egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup of hot cream mixture into the yolk. Add the yolk mixture to the remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Please feel free to stop by The Fig Tree and leave a note. I love and appreciate your comments! Also, please feel free to check The Fig Tree on Facebook and Twitter. Thanks for reading. xoxo