Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Earl Grey Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream

My name is Marlina, and I have a confession – I am a tea addict.  I have dozens of tea in my pantry, ranging from my personal essentials of plain green tea and peppermint tea, to the more adventurous flavors of walnut, mint chocolate, ice cream cake, blue berry jam, root beer float, and finally, my favorite, earl grey.  When my friend had posted this recipe on pintrest, I knew I had to try it – and I did within the hour.  I thought to myself, What a grand idea!  What better than to combine your favorite flavors into a cupcake?

I found this cupcake to be quite lovely – the complementary flavors of the lemon and of the earl grey tea made it delightful, making me crave for more when it was gone.  It was soo good, Hank had snuck three cupcakes shortly after I had frosted them!  I was a little surprised, as Hank is not one for sweets, but he certainly seemed to enjoy it!  My sisters and I had tried it during our visit together, and it was a smash hit with them as well.

This cupcake is super quick and easy to make, and I would recommend those of all abilities to try it.  I would caution you to not use loose leaf tea, and to simply use tea bags instead.  The reason being is that the loose leaf tea leaves are generally much larger than the ones in the bag, and the flakes in the cupcakes can be unpleasant to chew.  I know what I will be making next time I have a craving for sweets, and maybe I will try it with another tea flavor from my vast collection!

 











Earl Grey Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream
Makes 12 cupcakes

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. Earl Grey
1/2 cup milk

For the Lemon Buttercream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar
zest of one lemon
2 tbsp. lemon juice

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line the cupcake pan with 12 cups.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one a time, and ensure that each of the eggs is thoroughly combined before adding the next one.  Set aside.

In a separate medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.  Beat in half of the dry mixture into the wet mixture.  Add the milk and the rest of the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.  Fill the cupcake cups to about three-fourths full.  Bake 20-25 minutes.  Cool completely before frosting.

For the lemon buttercream
Cream the butter in a medium mixing bowl, and add the icing sugar.  Beat until fluffy. Add the lemon zest, juice and beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cupcakes.

 

1 comment:

  1. Yum!
    These sound terrific-I need to make these soon! I hope to see other tea based cupcakes you make on here!
    Thanks for sharing~ <3

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios