Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Garlic Scape Pesto

It’s funny how things change when you get older.  Your preferences change-such as wanting to be in bed by 1000pm on a Friday night, or how going for a run makes you feel so delighted (and it was anything but delightful when I was in high school), and how I enjoy staying home and baking, ect.  But I’m also talking about how your taste buds change.  For the better, mind you.  I’ve disliked many things growing up, but now I am glad that I have a full appreciation of them.  Pesto is one of those things.  When I was first introduced to it I couldn’t imagine why anyone would want to eat something so disgusting.  Then I was convinced that only granola-munching hippies would eat it.  And slowly, in small doses, Marlina introduced me to it, I got hooked.

I had plenty of garlic scapes leftover from last month and surprisingly they last well in the fridge.  There were only so many things I could do with them, and the other night while I was working I had an urge to finally use them up.  I tried to think of how I might do so, and decided that pesto would be my best bet.  I just loved it!  We are huge fans of garlic so this was a major hit.  We served it over pasta and I can’t wait to have it again!

You may adjust the amount of oil as per your preference.  Just a little note-it did stiffen up in the fridge with the amount I used. If you add it to hot spaghetti noodles it will warm up and spread nicely, but if you want to use it for bread, then I would leave it to warm at room temperature before using. 













Garlic Scape Pesto
Makes approximately 2 cups

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ cup garlic scapes, chopped
½ cup loosely packed basil
2 tablespoons toasted pecans
2 garlic cloves

4-4½ tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
Place the garlic scapes, basil, pecans and garlic in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add the oil, butter, parmesan and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Process briefly until blended.

Melt over hot pasta, rice, grilled veggies or bread.

Source: loosely adapted from Easy Vegetarian

1 comment:

  1. I've yet to try garlic scapes! This is a good reason to try em out! :)

    My tastes have definitely changed over the years. I used to despise salad. And pretty much any vegetable that was not cauliflower. *hah*

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios