Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2012

Brown-Rice Salad with Spinach and Tomatoes

Did everyone have a lovely long weekend?  We sure did.  Gavin and I went camping overnight on our favorite lake, and despite the blustery weather we had for the majority of the trip, we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly and can’t wait to do it again.  We were lucky enough to catch some fish to take home with us the next day.  I was so excited to eat it-Gavin is the ‘king’ of cooking fish.  So I, quite happily, settled on making a side salad.

I have been thinking about this salad for quite some time-Marlina first introduced me to this one at Easter and I wanted to steal the recipe ever since.  On a recent trip to PG, I successfully thieved the book and made it within the week.  I doubled the recipe so I would have plenty for my lunches at work, I love leftovers.  I adore the combination of the ingredients with the garlic dill dressing-it compliments it nicely; a subtle and refreshing taste for this healthy salad.  I think this salad would go well with most meats, or even by itself.  I find that I prefer the taste of brown rice, which is good because it has more of fibre and nutrients to it. 

I hope everyone has a great week. I have included some pics of our camping trip. See you soon! Xox. 

Chapman Lake 2012
One of my favourite shots. We canoed to our favourite spot and camped. 
The 'spot'!
Nightfall...
Okay, I know I'm pretty much obsessed with the panoramic shots.
The bare essentials.
Okay-onwards with the recipe. Thanks for your patience!


















Brown Rice Salad with Spinach and Tomatoes
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ cup water
¾ cup brown rice
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 garlic clove, minced finely
¼ teaspoon sugar
1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced crosswise ¼ inch thick
2 cups baby spinach
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved

DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the brown rice and 1 teaspoon coarse salt. Cover and simmer over low heat until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid, approximately 40 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

Using a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, dill, garlic and sugar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the rice, cucumber, spinach and tomatoes, toss to combine. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios