Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Monday, Oct. 29, 2012

Orange Poppyseed Rolls

Unfortunately, I have no new posts for Halloween.  My high aspirations have failed!  I tried making chocolate rats but by the time I was ready to shoot them, it was dark.  So they waited another day, and another....then their tails starting falling off.....I didn’t really want to share Franken-rats!  Although they were yummy, they were not ‘picture-worthy’.  Oh well, perhaps next year.  I will have a list ready!

This past weekend, I experienced my first earthquake.  It is unheard for Northern BC to have one, so it was quite the shock.  At first, I thought I was ill, but then I thought it was my overly large cat stomping around on the couch (I dismissed the idea promptly and realized we were actually having an earthquake).  The earthquake rated a 7.7 on the Richter scale, approximately 139km south of Masset.  We are over 600 km away from there! How crazy is that?

Other than that, my weekend was not so exciting.  It was actually quite relaxing!  We went to a show at the Art Gallery where Gavin’s mom had some art displayed (so beautiful!) and spent most of the weekend in the kitchen.  The snow is falling-we estimated over 15 centimetres and still going strong.  I love days that I get to spend in the kitchen! 

I’ve been dreaming about these rolls for quite some time, but never bothered to make them until this past weekend.  I fell in love with the combination of the orange and poppy seeds; I find that they go perfectly together.  These rolls aren’t too sweet, which is fine by me, and are absolutely delicious.  Definitely great for a breakfast treat-it’s not oozing with sugar so you don’t have to feel so guilty! J



















Orange Poppyseed Rolls
Makes 12 rolls

INGREDIENTS
4 ½-5 cups all purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
3 eggs

½ cup melted butter
½ teaspoon orange extract
1 ½ tablespoon orange zest
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 cup packed brown sugar

DIRECTIONS
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough attachment, combine 2 ¼ cups flour with the yeast.

In a small saucepan, combine the milk, 1/3 cup butter, granulated sugar and salt. Cook and stir until just warm (120 degrees F) and butter is nearly melted. Add to the flour mixture.  Add eggs. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure full incorporation. Add in the remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl (I used a total of 4 ¾ cup for this). Remove and knead by hand for a few minutes longer (the dough should be smooth and elastic) then transfer to a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (this can take 1 ½-2 hours).

Punch the dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and let rest for 10 minutes. In the meantime, lightly grease a 13X9 inch baking pan and set aside.

Roll dough into an 18X12 inch rectangle. Mix the melted butter with the orange extract. Spread over the dough, then sprinkle the poppy seed and orange zest evenly. Top with brown sugar.

Starting with the filled long side, roll up rectangle. Pinch dough to seal the seam. Cut into 12 slices and arrange in the prepared baking pan.

*At this time, you may place the rolls in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Let stand uncovered at room temp for approximately 30 minutes prior to baking.

Cover the baking pan with plastic wrap, leaving room for rolls to rise. Place in a warm place until nearly doubled in size, approximately 1 hour. While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pan.

Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Source: adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios