Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012

Cranberry Bread Pudding

About 5 years ago, Gavin’s mom, Ellen introduced me to bread pudding.  I fell in love with it immediately and highly anticipated the Christmas season just so I could eat it.  Of course, by the time dessert came along, I was already full but forced myself to continue just so I could have it.  This would always result in a stomachache (the 'on-the-floor-in-the-fetal-position' kind).  I never learned from this mistake, so I *hope* to do better this year!

I saw this recipe and stopped dead in my tracks.  I love cranberries and oranges-I am sure you’ve seen this combination before on the blog (if not-they were cookies! check them out here!).  I had to make it right away-I bought a loaf of French bread and was good to go.  I found that it takes a while to bake (65-75 mins) but the results are fantastic. The outer layer is crispy with a soft, spongy centre-so comforting and delicious.  It is almost as good as Ellens (in my opinion, anyway)...but I will never get that recipe!  I think that this dessert would be perfect for special occasions-such as Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Hope everyone is having a great week...it's almost over! :)


















Cranberry Bread Pudding
Makes one 13X9 inch pan (12 servings)

INGREDIENTS
1 loaf of French bread, cubed (remove crusts as per preference)
1½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
¼ cup butter, melted
6 eggs
4 cups milk
¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Grease a 13X9 inch baking dish. Layer half of the bread cubes, cranberries and orange peel. Repeat layers and drizzle with butter.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, ¾ cup sugar and vanilla until blended; pour over bread mixture. Let stand for 15-30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.

Bake, uncovered for 65-75 minutes or until a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean. Serve warm.

Source: Taste of Home’s Fall Baking 2012 Edition

1 comment:

  1. I must try this bread pudding! I've never had bread pudding before, but this looks soooo yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios