Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2013

Baked Blueberry & Banana Oatmeal

I have never been a morning person.  I’ve mentioned this before in previous posts, but I really am trying (I know I’ve said the same thing before!) to eat breakfast on a more consistent basis. I find it impossible to eat at 0530 before work, but on my days off (where I am awake later at a slightly more reasonable time), I really try to make an effort.  Since Gavin isn’t a huge breakfast fan, I normally have leftovers so I know I have to enjoy it.

I was down with the flu last week and this oatmeal was the only thing that stimulated my appetite.  Strange, I know, but true.  When I finally felt like I had enough strength to make it, I did and boy, did I ever enjoy it.  There are several reasons why I found this oatmeal is so great: a) It’s healthy and nutritious b) It’s delicious, and I’m not making that up! c) It’s already sweet enough so that you don’t have to add extra sugar to sweeten it. d) If you make it for yourself you have lot’s leftover (Yes-that’s me!).  I am excited that I have found an oatmeal that I truly enjoy, and that I can share it with you!
                                      











Baked Blueberry & Banana Oatmeal
Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup pecans, chopped and lightly toasted
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt

¼ cup maple syrup
1 cup milk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 ripe bananas, sliced into ½ inch thick pieces
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 1 ½ quart casserole dish with cooking spray.

Toss together the oats, half the pecans, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, milk, egg, half the melted butter and vanilla.

Arrange the sliced banana pieces in the casserole dish. Sprinkle 2/3 cup of the fresh blueberries on top of the bananas, then cover the blueberries with the oat mixture.

Drizzle the milk mixture over the oats as evenly as possible.

Sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 cup of blueberries and the remaining pecans over the oat mixture.

Bake for 35-45minutes until the top is golden brown and the oats have set.

Remove from the oven, drizzle the remaining butter and serve. Garnish with preferred toppings.  

Source: adapted from The Curvy Carrot

4 comments:

  1. This sound wonderful! I'm not a morning person either and have to really force myself to eat breakfast on work days. I should make this on Sunday - enjoy breakfast leisurely and then have leftovers for work during the week. Thanks for the awesome idea. Hope you are feeling LOTS better!!!! *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think a person could put this together the night before and then throw it in the oven in the morning? Perhaps I should try this evening...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Linking back to this post in an upcoming FFC post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Thanks Marla! That sounds great-thanks for letting me know!

      Delete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios