Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Monday, March 25, 2013

Chili

The first day of spring was the other day…I guess Mother Nature must have missed the memo-or has a really sarcastic sense of humor.  Snow, really?  What a cruel joke!  I am eagerly anticipating the days when I get to roast in the sun, read a book, and suffer from ridiculously awesome tan lines.  We normally get a grand total of 10 days of this (I feel I am being generous with this), but I’m not complaining.  I’ll take what I can get!  I am one of the lucky ones… I've only burnt twice in my life, and I darken quickly with sun.  I realize I am babbling.  And dreaming for warmer days.  I just wish for spring to finally come to melt all this snow and we can move on with summer weather!

However, one of the only good things to come from this messed up weather is the fact that I can find comfort curling up with a bowl of chili.  I love nothing more than making a big batch of chili and having plenty of leftovers for days on end.  It’s quick, wonderful to bring to work, and it always tastes better with age.  I've experimented with this chili for years and have perfected it to suit our tastes.  We love that it has just the right amount of heat (it’s always a battle to find the right amount!) and that it’s a thick, hearty dinner.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! J


















Chili
Makes 8-10 servings

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds lean ground beef
Dash of salt and pepper
½ large onion, diced
3 carrots, sliced thinly
4 celery sticks, diced
5 white button mushrooms, sliced
5 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
1 cup frozen corn
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (28 oz) kidney beans
1 can (680ml) tomato sauce

1 dried Serrano, dried, minced finely
¾-1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon smoked hot paprika
½-¾ teaspoon basil leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste

For garnish:
Sour cream
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Green onions, sliced diagonally

DIRECTIONS
In a large stockpot, cook the ground beef until browned over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir in the onion and cook until softened. Add in the carrots and cook until slightly softened.

Stir in the remaining vegetables-(celery, mushroom, garlic and the tomatoes, kidneys and sauce) and spices. Bring to a boil and reduce temperature to low. Simmer, covered for 4-6 hours to allow the flavors to develop. Garnish with sour cream, cheddar cheese and green onions. Serve immediately.

Source: A Peaches & Cream Original

1 comment:

  1. Yum!!!! My mom made something like this on the weekend for me with veggie ground. So so so delicious! Perfect for the "spring" weather (and blizzards) we've been having over here in Winnipeg. LOL

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios