Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Potato, Rosemary & Sausage Pizza

 
This pizza is incredibly simple-I know.  However, sometimes the simplest of things can surprise you the most.  When we were in Costa Rica, we ate at this place called Café Viejo.   The food & drinks were incredible.  They made the best pizza and mojito’s I've ever had!  I didn’t think much of this pizza when we first ordered it, but when it arrived-I had a hard time not eating the whole thing.

Of course, I had to recreate it.  I was looking through pictures from Costa Rica the other day and decided it was time to make it.  My eating habits are finally under better control (with the addition of exercising) so I could justify making it.  It’s not the healthiest pizza in the world, but once in a while, it’s okay to splurge.  I used fresh rosemary from my garden and did what I could from memory to recreate it.  Gavin says that it was better than Café Viejo’s, and I think I have to agree.  You can use a more spicier sausage if you’d like, but this mild flavor does pair well with the pizza.  Be sure to pair this one with with a healthy salad! 
Potato, Rosemary & Sausage Pizza
Makes 1 pizza (6-8 servings)

INGREDIENTS
For the pizza dough:
2 1/2 -3 cups all purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil

For the pizza:
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced finely

1 cup baby potatoes, cooked & sliced into chunks
1 farmers sausage, cooked & sliced into chunks
1 ½ cup fontina cheese, finely shredded
8 sprigs of rosemary
Cracked black pepper

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a large baking/pizza sheet.

For the pizza dough:
In a large bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1 ¼ cup of the flour, yeast, salt. Add the warm water and oil. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl as needed. Increase the speed to high and stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

On a lightly floured surface, turn the dough and knead to make moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic. Rest for 10 minutes. Roll into a 16X13 inch rectangle and fold the edges up slightly.

For the pizza:
Mix together the olive oil & garlic in a small bowl. Brush over the pizza dough.  Top with the sliced baby potatoes, farmers sausage and fontina cheese. Sprinkle with sprigs of rosemary and black pepper.

Place in oven and bake for 6-8 minutes, or until cheese has melted.

Source: Inspired by Café Viejo in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios