Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sweet Potato Hash

“Deeeeeamn girl you make some good hash” –the boy.

That text made my day!

I’ve been meaning to try this recipe a loonnng time ago, and now I’m kicking myself for not trying it sooner.  It’s so flippin’ fantastic.  And easy!   You can’t go wrong with bacon & eggs, and I think many people would agree.  When I was younger my dad would always make us bacon & eggs when he cooked us breakfast (mom usually made porridge or pancakes!) & so since living with Gavin, I don’t eat it as much.  I miss it! 

If you’re serving this at a brunch, double the recipe.  Or triple-it makes very good leftovers!


Sweet Potato Hash
Makes 3 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 teaspoon butter
1 onion, diced

1 cup bacon, diced

1 ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled & diced into ¾’-1 inch chunks

½ cup green onions
3-4 eggs

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

In a large oven-proof frying pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and sauté until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.

While the onion is sautéing, cook the bacon in a separate pan. Drain the excess fat & set aside.

Toss the sweet potato with the thyme & vegetable oil. Add to the oven-proof pan with the bacon and stir to combine.  Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of baking, remove pan (wear your gloves-I almost forgot this!) from the oven (drain if excess oil present) and mix in green onions. Crack eggs over sweet potato mixture & put on broil for about 3 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve.

Source: adapted from The Kitchn

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios