Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Gravlax

I am kinda picky when it comes to fish.  Don’t get me wrong-I love my sushi & cold smoked salmon, but that’s pretty much it.  I don’t particularly like cooked fish-weird, I know.  This recipe is similar to one that I tried many years ago & loved.  So when one of our friends had given us some salmon, I knew I had no choice but to make it again! 

The gravlax is great with breakfast (I like it with cream cheese & bread) or use in sushi.  Please remember to plan ahead as it takes 48 hours to cure.  
Gravlax

INGREDIENTS
2-3 lbs salmon fillets cut into two pieces
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons black pepper
lots and lots of fresh dill
4 tablespoons vodka

DIRECTIONS
Mix the salt, sugar, and pepper in a bowl.  Rinse the salmon fillets with cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. On a cutting board, rub the salt/sugar mixture on both sides of each fillets.

Lay one of the fillets, skin side down on the cutting board. Cover the fleshy side with fresh dill and drizzle with vodka. Place the remaining fillet, flesh side down, on top of the other piece of fish. Transfer carefully into a plastic bag. Seal firmly and on a rimmed dish/plate.  Place a weight (I used a baking dish with oranges) on top of the fish.

Flip every 12 hours for 48 hours. After the 48 hours, remove the dill and rinse the fish with cool water to remove the salt.

Slice thinly and serve.  Store up to 5 days in the fridge. It’s great with cream cheese & bread!

Source: slightly adapted from A Thought For Food
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios