Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013

Blueberry-Peach Custard Kuchen

Enough with all the pumpkin posts already…..;)  I have so many more recipes that I want to try out, that I might be all ‘pumpkin-d’ out before Thanksgiving!  Although that is slightly impossible to believe-I am hoping it won’t happen!!

I decided to make this cake after spending years staring at the recipe.  The timing never seemed right-but it all fell in to place when I had extra blueberries and peaches in my house!

So, you might ask-What is Kuchen? It’s a German cake, and there are about 5 different types.  I would say that it is similar to a coffee cake.  This one has sweet yeast dough with a custard fruit topping.  I used a deep pie dish and found that the dough raised quite high-I was concerned about it overflowing when I added the custard! So be sure to check on it in the middle of the recommended time to see where it’s at.  I suppose you could change the fruit combination, but I think blueberry & peaches are a great combo!  I shared this cake with my parents.  They both really enjoyed this cake-my dad certainly ate more than his fair share!
Blueberry Peach Custard Kuchen

INGREDIENTS
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 package (2 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
½ cup milk
½ cup sugar
¼ cup butter
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs

2 peaches, sliced and peeled
1 cup blueberries

1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup half and half cream

DIRECTIONS
Grease a 9 inch deep dish pie plate & set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough attachment, combine 1 cup of the flour & yeast.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the milk, sugar, butter & salt until the mixture is warm and the butter almost melts (120 degrees F). Add the milk to the flour mixture. Turn the mixer on medium speed and add in the eggs. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed & beat until smooth. Add the remaining flour to make a stiff batter.

Spread the dough onto the prepared pie plate. Top with peaches & blueberries.  Rise until doubled-about 45 minutes, checking halfway through.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine the egg, sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, salt & cream. Whisk together & pour over the fruit.

Place the pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios