Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2013

Red Onion Marmalade

The thought of red onion made into marmalade may not seem too appealing at first, but after trying it, I must say I’m hooked.  It’s REALLY good.  I tried this last year after a co-worker had offered it to me, and although I was intrigued by the idea, I was also slightly hesitant.  But you only live once and I was so happy with the way it tasted I needed the recipe, ASAP!

It has a sweet, tangy taste. I used it as an appetizer with a sliced baguette, mixed greens, topped with marmalade with some goat cheese sprinkled on top.  I suppose it would go really well with steak or pork!  But if you want to serve fancy-dancy appetizers, this is great!
Red Onion Marmalade
Makes 2 cups

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ pound red onions, sliced thinly
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup red wine
Grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed orange

1 baguette, sliced diagonally
Mixed greens
½ cup soft, goat cheese
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
Heat the oil in a large saucepan until hot. Add in the onions, bay leaf, thyme, salt & black pepper to taste. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes until the onions are softened and translucent.

Add in the sugar, vinegar, red wine, zest & juice. Cook, uncovered, for an additional 1 ½ hours until no liquid is left and the onions are a dark, rich, red color. Stir frequently during the last 30 minute to stop the onions from burning.

Let the mixture cool and transfer into a jar.

To assemble:
Place mixed greens on top of a baguette. Top with a teaspoon and a half of the marmalade and sprinkle with goat cheese. Add salt or ground black pepper to taste.

Red Onion Marmalade can be refrigerated for up to several weeks.

Source: minimally adapted from HaleyJ
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios