Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013

Mexican Pasta Bake


I know I’ve mentioned this before, but Mexican food is one of my favorites.  Trouble is, I always default to making the same meals.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to spice things up.  So I was pretty stoked when I concocted this out of the blue.  It took a couple tries to perfect it, but we both really enjoyed the way it turned out.  It’s a cross between the best of Mexican flavors & a creamy mac and cheese-um yum! You know you want to make it.  It may just be your best decision yet:)

On another note, thank you to everyone who entered our giveaway!  I was super excited the entire week & so grateful of everyone who entered!

Mexican Pasta Bake
Serves 4-6

INGREDIENTS
3 cups uncooked pasta shells
½ tablespoon butter
1 onion, diced finely
2 jalapenos, diced
2 garlic, minced
2 teaspoon chili pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
Pinch of paprika
1 pound ground beef
1 cup salsa (I purchased a hot salsa from our local farmer’s market-so GOOD!)

2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
2 cup milk
2 cup cheddar cheese, divided

2 tablespoons cilantro, minced finely
¼ cup green onions, thinly sliced
Grape tomatoes, halved

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium-large pot of salted boiling water, add the pasta shells and cook until el dente. Drain in a colander & rinse with cold water. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add in the jalapenos, garlic, chili pepper, cumin & paprika and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Next, add the ground beef & brown for about 6-10 minutes. Add in the cooked pasta shells.

In the medium-large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in the flour. Stir in milk & 1 ½ cup of the cheese and whisk until thickened. Add to the pan and stir until coated thoroughly. Top with ½ cup cheese.

Place in the oven & bake for 15 minutes. Top with cilantro, green onions and grape tomatoes, if desired.

Source: a Peaches & Cream originalJ

5 comments:

  1. Oh my lord, this looks immensely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this a few weeks ago and it was really good.
    I do think the measure of pasta is a mistake though - 3 cups for 8 people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren,
      I actually meant 4-6. My mistake, I will change accordingly!
      Thanks for alerting me...my scribbles seem to have misguided me when I was writing it down!

      Delete
  3. Making this for dinner tonight!! Super excited getting tired of the same ol' stuff so wanted to try something new!! Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios