Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Creamy Baked Chicken Taquitos

I love taquitos and I’ve been holding these back for a while.  So sorry!  The pictures never did them justice, so I never felt it was appropriate to share.  Now is the time to share them.  Oh I’ve waited to this day for so long!!! *Happy dance*

Mexican food is one of my favorite foods to make, and I usually have a few select recipes that I use.  Chicken enchiladas are one, and taquitos are another.  I promise I will share the others with you, soon.  I always love a good excuse for Mexican night!

The taquitos are slightly spicy, so if you have a ‘baby tongue’ I suggest you reduce the amount of chili pepper.  I love the cheesy baked goodness of the taquitos.  Feel free to play around with the ingredients-seriously it’s a fairly forgiving recipe!!  I use them as an appetizer or even a main dish. For a larger crowd, I would suggest as an appetizer.  Yum- I love Mexican flavors!
Creamy Baked Chicken Taquitos
Makes about 18-20 taquitos

INSTRUCTIONS
4 oz cream cheese, softened (reduced fat is fine)
¾ cup salsa verde
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tablespoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of paprika
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup green onions, sliced
4 cups cooked and shredded chicken *
1 cup shredded jalapeno havarti cheese
20 (6-inch) flour tortillas

kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
cooking spray

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. 

In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, chili powder, chipotle chili pepper, cumin, garlic, cilantro & green onions.  Fold in the chicken & cheese. Taste and season with additional salt & pepper if necessary.

Spoon about 2 to 3 tablespoons  of the filing onto the lower third of each tortilla, roll tightly. Place seam side-down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the other tortillas.

Lightly spray the tacquitos with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown

Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

To freeze:
Just before baking, place the taquitos in a freezer-safe plastic bag & freeze.

To cook; preheat the oven to 425 degrees and place the taquitos on a baking sheet & in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.

Source: adapted from Our Best Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios