Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Vegan Eggnog

Christmas is less than 2 weeks away-eek!!  I hope everyone has their Christmas shopping done….I think we are almost done, but we still need to go Christmas tree hunting & put up the lights.  So excited!!  Marlina is coming home on the 18th and I can’t wait for her to come!!  All we need is more snow-we’ve hardly had any.  I honestly can't believe I'm complaining about this! 

Gavin and I watch the news every morning-it’s part of our morning ritual.  I feel that there’s something missing if we don’t!  Last week, he asked me to try a vegan version of Eggnog that he saw them make.  He tends to go a wee bit crazy with it at this time of year.  We needed to find a more healthier version ASAP!

Even though I am not a huge fan of Eggnog, I always associate it with Christmas.  This version is very creamy & decadent.  It tastes very similiar to the real Eggnog but so much healthier. It blew me away that these ingredients combined could make something so tasty:) Love that it’s eggless & dairy free.  And just a FYI-it mixes well with rum.  You're welcome! Happy Saturday!:) 
Vegan Eggnog (vegnogg)
Makes 2 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 cup soaked cashews (I soaked mine for 4 hours then drained the excess)
1 cup soaked dates in 1 cup water (keep the water that you soaked the dates with)
2 cups almond milk
1 tablespoon maple syrup
¾-1 teaspoon nutmeg + more to garnish
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt

additional almond milk, to thin if desired.

DIRECTIONS
Place all the above ingredients in a blender & blend until smooth.

Strain the mixture with a fine mesh strainer & throw back in the blender if needed.  Determine if it's the consistency you desire.  If you are finding it too thick, then add some more almond milk. Once completed, place in the refrigerator until cold.

If any separation occurred while chilling, shake or stir the mixture.

Garnish with nutmeg of cinnamon.

Source: minimally adapted from Global BC TV

1 comment:

  1. This is a delicious holiday drink, especially if you are vegan or lactose intolerant! You definitely feel like you have your own special holiday treat. Once I'd made it for myself, the grandchildren all wanted a "sip", They liked it so much I ended up making it for everyone!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios