Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Chicken Parmesan Soup

I love this weather that we’ve been having.  It’s been unnaturally warm out lately, not our usual frigid temperatures at this time of year.  The coldest it’s been is around -7, which is not so bad!!  Several times last week it got over to plus 4.  It’s running weather!  So, I put on my new pair of ice cleats and went twice-It was so great to be out there again!:)  I hope this weather continues and that I can keep it up:D

Despite the weather being so pleasant, I still feel the need to need to make comforting & hearty meals.  It’s still considered winter!  I find absolute comfort in this soup-especially after a long day of ice fishing.  I’ve always defaulted to this recipe when it comes to making a good chicken soup.  It warms & fill you up fast.   I found that the addition of the parmesan enhances the flavor of this soup, giving it a unique, charming flavor.  You can add more parmesan if you want-I thought this amount was just perfect.  Enjoy! ;)
Parmesan Chicken Soup
Makes 4-6 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, peeled & diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, sliced
4 celery ribs, sliced

4 L chicken broth
½ tablespoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
4 bay leaves

3-4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
2 cups uncooked pasta shells
½ cup Parmesan (up to 1 cup)
2 cup mushroom, sliced

Kosher salt & pepper, to taste
Fresh parsley
Bread, for serving

DIRECTIONS
In a large stock pot over medium heat, heat the oil.  Add in the onion & sauté until translucent, then add in garlic. Stir for an additional 30 seconds.  Add in the carrots & celery & cook until slightly softened. 

Add in the broth & the spices.  Bring the soup to a boil & add in the cooked chicken, pasta shells, Parmesan & mushrooms.  Reduce heat and simmer until the pasta shells are cooked.

Adjust the seasoning/add more parmesan if desired. Garnish with parsley.  Serve with bread (I used a jalapeno focaccia-delicious!)

Source: adapted from Paula Deen

2 comments:

  1. I made this tonight and it was delicious!! Definitely a make-again recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm happy you enjoyed it! :) Thank for leaving a comment! :D

      Delete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios