Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Monday, March 10, 2014

Blood Orange Margaritas 

 
Happy Monday-I think?  I hope you all had great weekends-I had a fairly relaxing one, so I was pretty happy with that.  I’m trying to conserve my energy for this work week coming up….a set of 6.  I’m dreading this.  I don’t exactly know why I do this to myself!! Anyways, one of the highlights of the weekend was that Gavin taught me how to play chess.  After playing 3 games, I won!  He is quite the skilled chess player, and I have yet to develop a strategy.  My allergies were acting up the first day, so I contribute that to not being so focused:P

Last week after work, Gavin and I stopped by the grocery store.  There were some blood oranges on sale, so naturally, I went a little overboard.  Gavin had to stop me from hoarding them all.  It’s so rare that we see them in this small town, so I get really excited when I see them.  They are so uniquely beautiful-I am totally in love with them.  I wish we could grow citrus trees here!

I’m not the most successful bartender, as you can tell by my lack of alcoholic beverages on this blog.  I think this might be my first!  When I made these margaritas, Gavin said, “Ah hah!  Now that’s what a margarita is tastes like!”  Apparently, they are a weakness-good to know!

I don’t like drinks that are too strong, but these margaritas are just perfect.  I used some tequila that was brought back from Mexico a couple years ago, so I was pretty excited to crack it open.  And to mix them to create these beautiful babies, well, it can’t get any better than that.  They remind me of a traditional margarita, only better. 

So, if you have a case of the Monday blues, be sure to make these! They will brighten up your dayJ
Blood Orange Margaritas
Serves 2

INGREDIENTS
for the simple syrup:
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water

for the blood orange margaritas:
½ (4 ounces) cup blood orange juice {freshly squeezed}
¼ (2 ounces) cup lime juice {freshly squeezed}
¼ (2 ounces) cup tequila
¼ (2 ounces) cup orange liqueur
1 tablespoon simple syrup {as above}
Ice, for serving
Blood orange slices, for garnish

DIRECTIONS
for the simple syrup:
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar completely & boil for a few minutes. Remove from heat & set aside to cool.

for the blood orange margaritas:
Combine all ingredients together in a large glass. Stir to combine. Pour into a chilled glass & garnish with blood orange slices & serve.

Source: slightly adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios