Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Vunderbars

 I’m sorry.

You’re welcome. 

Have you ever made something so tasty that you feel like you have to immediately apologize and say you’re welcome in the same sentence?  I did today.  It doesn’t happen very often, but then again, these bars don’t happen very often!

I can’t seem to contain my excitement for these-they are fantastic.   I really don’t think that there’s anything that I disliked about these bars-they are the perfect combination of peanuts & chocolate with a crunchy texture from the Rice Krispies and rolled oats.  Seriously-I know these take a little bit of work but they are totally worth it.   I had one last week at a local café, and well, I was sold.  They’ve been on my mind ever since and I was really excited to make them! 

It’s been so busy around here lately.  I’m lucky that I can do one post per week. I’m sorry guys!  I’ve been working lots, playing softball, starting Spanish classes, and trying to enjoy my summer.  We’ve had some pretty nice weather this week, and it’ll continue throughout the weekend.  Of course, I have to work so I am not looking forward to this.  Oh well! Make these now and enjoy!
Vunderbars
Makes one 8X8 inch pan

INGREDIENTS:
for the bars:
4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (2 packages)
2 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar, or granulated sugar.
2 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup rolled oats
½ teaspoon salt
3 12 cup smooth peanut butter
¾ cup unsalted butter, chopped into bits, at room temperature
1 ½  cup semisweet chocolate, chopped finely

topping:
¼ cup milk chocolate chips
¼ cup smooth peanut butter

INSTRUCTIONS:
Line an 8X8inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving about a 2 inch overhang.

for the bars: 
In a large bowl, combine the chocolate wafer crumbs, confectioner’s sugar, rice krispies, oats & salt. Set aside.

In a large saucepan of simmering water, set  a heatproof bowl with peanut butter & butter and melt until smooth. Pour into the chocolate wafer mixture and stir until well combined. Transfer the mixture in the prepared pan & spread evenly.

Melt the semisweet chocolate in a microwaveable-safe bowl. Heat at half power in 30 second increments (alternatively, you could use the double broiler method here too) until the chocolate melts when stirred. Pour over the bars & spread evenly. Place in the refrigerator.

for the topping:
Melt the chocolate using your preferred method (microwave or double broiler).

Melt the peanut butter until slightly thinned and stirred easy.

Remove the bars from the refrigerator. Using a piping bag or a small spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the bars, then repeat with the peanut butter.

For complete firmness, refrigerate overnight.

to serve: 
Lift the bars from the pan using the parchment paper and cut into bars, cutting straight down with a long, sharp knife (however size you want-depends on how much you want to share!)

Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months in an airtight container.

Source: minimally adapted from Bake or Break, originally from Butter Baked Goods

1 comment:

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios